Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Supplementing

So, we are now supplementing. My milk did increase with all the herbs and water and calories, but apparently not enough to get him gaining very well. I think he needs a few more calories than I'm currently able to give him. Yesterday I gave him a couple of bottles of formula in addition to as much breastmilk as he would eat, and he was so content! He slept all night! This morning he breastfed twice and took a bottle of formula. He's now taking a nap and already looks fatter. :) I feel good about this. I still believe that "breast is best", and I want him to continue getting the nutrition from me. But I recognize that he needs more than that right now. I'm hoping if I continue feeding him several times a day and maybe pumping once a day, my supply will keep up and eventually we'll be back to only breast again. But until we get over this hump and he's a healthy weight, he's going to take formula as well. The miracle? I'm actually okay with all of this! Thank You Lord for bringing me peace! A week ago when I was at A Nurturing Moment and the lactation consultant suggested that I supplement with formula, I broke down in tears. She comforted me and prayed with me. I kept saying, "I don't understand! I'm doing everything I can and he still isn't gaining!" She said, "Get out of the figure it out box and into the presence of the Lord. He knows all, even when you don't." I was so impressed with the staff there. They told me that the vision of ANM is not just to be a breastfeeding and cloth diapering store, but to be a ministry to mothers in need. They truly ministered to me that day. All week long God has sent me reassurance when I needed it, just when I was about to go INSANE. He is so good. And now to grant me peace with the decision so supplement, is nothing short of a miracle. I can see that it's not an either-or decision. I can do both breast and bottle and that may be best for this particular baby at this particular time. I was afraid that deciding to supplement would mean I wasn't still "breastfeeding", but that's not true. My dear sweet friend Jessica, a La Leche League leader, reminded me that Samuel will get the nutritive benefits of breastfeeding with just one feeding in a 24 hour period. I can totally do that! The goal is still to breastfeed, but supplement with a couple of bottles a day. Totally doable. Thank You Lord!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very, very thankful that we were able to minister to you, Julie! Your post brought tears to my eyes! Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete