Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Our Great High Priest

Lately I have been facing a really challenging situation that has brought me to every range of emotion imaginable. Fear, hurt, anxiety, anger, bitterness. . . you name it, I've had it. Not coincidentally I'm sure :), we've been going through a study of Hebrews on Wednesday nights. Last night we came to the passage of Hebrews 4:14-16 where Jesus is described as the High Priest who understands our weaknesses and temptations:

"Seeing then that we have a Great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain grace and mercy to help in a time of need."

That message really spoke to me last night. Jesus understands. He has been hurt. He has been angry. He has been sad. He was betrayed. He was ridiculed and mocked. He completely understands my pain. He is a sympathetic Savior. I can come to Him a hundred times a day with my hurts, fears and pains and I will not leave His throne of grace empty handed, but will receive grace and mercy to help in my time of need. Wow! When it says "come" it is the tense of the verb that commands me to continually come. It's okay if I have to come again and again. And I can come boldly because JESUS is my mediator. Because of the blood of Jesus, I can approach God's throne of grace confidently and freely to receive the grace and mercy I need for each trial. Amazing stuff.

Also not coincidentally I'm sure :), I'm reading through a little devotional book in the mornings called "Jesus Calling". It's a short message from God each day that puts these things into perspective. Check out a few I've read this week:

"I am renewing your mind. When your thoughts flow freely, they tend to move toward problems. Your focus gets snagged on a given problem, until it gains mastery over you. You lose sight of Me. A renewed mind is Presence-focused. Train your mind to seek Me in every moment, every situation. Seek My face, speak to Me, and I will light up your mind."

"I am with you and for you. You face nothing alone- nothing! I will get you safely through this day and all your days."

"The Lord will give strength to His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace." -Psalm 29:11

"The mind controlled by the flesh is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace." -Romans 8:6

"I am above all things: your problems, your pain, and the swirling events in this ever-changing world. When you behold My face, you rise above circumstances and rest with Me in heavenly realms. I guarantee that you will always have problems in this life, but they must not become your focus. When you feel yourself sinking in the sea of circumstances, say, 'Help me, Jesus!' and I will draw you back to Me. If you have to say that thousands of times a day, don't be discouraged. I know your weakness, and I will meet you in that very place."

No comments:

Post a Comment