Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Making Milk

It's amazing how sensitive the milk-making process is. Breast milk, that is. The last few weeks felt like I was making less and less milk. I wasn't filling "full" and it seemed to be taking forever for Rosemary to eat. I started thinking about it, and realized I had been under a LOT of physical and emotional stress in the last few weeks. In fact I lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks, mainly due to stress and the fact that my body reacts to stress by not wanting to eat. Also I forget to eat sometimes. I know, it's crazy. But I do. I get so busy taking care of everybody else's meals and snacks that I just take a bite here, a bite there but often don't take in a whole meal, especially at breakfast and lunch. Plus I don't drink as much water as I should. Yeah I should have seen it coming.

Anyway, I found a lactation supplement at Ruth's Nutrition that's already helping after just 4 days! It has Fenugreek, Nettle and Fennel. AND, I've eaten really a lot in the last few days. LOL Brian and I ate at The Melting Pot last night with our friends Rich and Linda. Wow that was a lot of food!!! And in between courses I drank so much water. I think they refilled my glass 4 times! When we got home I was seriously full and practically shooting milk out at Rosemary. YES. This morning, same thing. So I did the selfless deed, the only thing a loving mother could do, and ate a big lunch too. :) We ate BBQ at Benton and Kelly's and I ate a lot. . . for Rosemary's sake. :) I think I can commit to eating and drinking plenty in the next few months so I can finish strong with Rosemary's first year.

Did I mention I LOVE breastfeeding??

2 comments: