Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Importance of a Quiet Time

I've been reading some fabulous Bible-based books lately written specifically for mothers and homemakers. I have gotten a lot of good, challenging, uplifting stuff from them. But I have noticed a trend in some of them with which I have to disagree.

Some of the authors are saying to mothers that it is okay not to have a quiet time each day set aside to spend time with God and read His Word. Sorry, but that's truly what they are saying. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get that time each morning; your little ones need you and you need the sleep. You can spend time with God in droplets throughout the day with your children all around and read a little bit here, a little bit there. That sort of thing. Now hear me out. I totally agree that it's a good idea to keep your Bible out, ready to read a Scripture here and there throughout the day. VERY GOOD IDEA. I totally agree that it is a good idea to pray here and there throughout the day. After all, we are commanded several times in Scripture to pray without ceasing. VERY GOOD IDEA. Every mother should read her Bible throughout the day and pray throughout the day. Agreed. But I wholeheartedly disagree with giving young mothers an "out" by saying that this phase of your life may be too busy for quiet time with God in the mornings.

Maybe I am not as spiritual as everybody else, but I desperately need time with God first thing in the morning. If I don't make that a priority, I drift so easily into the flesh. I don't need an excuse to skip that time. It is vital to me. And I believe it is vital to every Christian.

The authors state that what a mother does in her home with her children is as important and as spiritual and holy as what the pastor does with his congregation. Wholeheartedly agree. Would someone ever tell a pastor that it's okay to skip his quiet time? And yet we are with our children a lot more often than a pastor is with his congregation. Our little ones see us all day every day. How much more important then is a time with God for a momma? I have to assert that it is absolutely essential.


3 comments:

  1. I've heard this lately too. The way they peddled it was 'it doesn't say specifically in the Bible that you have to have a quiet time.' Which, I disagree with it.

    Their point was 'you should be in a quiet time all day long through your spirit constantly being directed to the Lord' - agreed but I have a much greater chance of that if I've had a quiet time first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Paula. If I don't make it a priority to start my day that way, I don't do it the rest of the day either.

      Delete
  2. You nailed this one, dear. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete