Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Me

Some days, I just have to throw the crazy to-do list out the window and "just" be Mommy.

Allie and Maggie are at Cousins Camp with my parents this week, so Penelope and Rosemary went to Naomi's house for some Grandparent time with the other set. Leaving me with "only one", thinking "Oh I'll get so much done. . . organizing, cleaning, catching up with friends, starting up my exercise regimen again, tons of Bible study and lesson planning, etc etc." Yeah right. My sweet Samuel has decided that Mommy is what he wants, 24 hours a day. As in, he wails uncontrollably if I lay him down and leave the room. Sweet baby Samuel loves his Mommy. He wants to be right up on me.

To some, this might be annoying. Admittedly it is even annoying to me at times. As I sit and cuddle him, I think, the floors need mopping, the grocery list must be made, I have got to get Sam's clothes organized. Why can't he just hang out and let me get my list done??? But I've decided to embrace it. Because, as I've realized with each of my girls, these days pass all too quickly. Before I know it he will be too independent and busy for Mommy time. I'll still have a to do list, but I'll be wishing he would cuddle with me and give me an excuse to throw it out the window. To do lists will always be there. Precious newborns will not. They grow faster than we wish. He needs me now, way more than the kitchen floor or the laundry does.

We listen to a lullaby CD by Plumb that I absolutely adore. Each song is delightful. The lyrics to one of the songs in particular really gets me:


I haven't had
A chance to sleep
And when I wake
I wake with your dreams
I guess my pillow
Holds some kind of key
To your peace
Your peace
Me, I wouldn't trade your love for all the candy
In this great big world
Me, I feel so crazy blessed and oh so lucky
To be the place you go
When you need to feel safe
When you need a kiss
It's me
I haven't showered
And I tried to eat
But all your tears
Oh they needed me
I need some time, some time to think
But then I hear you
And what you need is...
Me
I wouldn't trade your love for all the candy
In this great big world
Me
I feel so crazy blessed and oh so lucky
To be the place you go
I wash your face
To make room for
All the kisses
Of tomorrow
And every day
That I get to 
Be here with you
Is sweet

So for today, I'm going to smell his sweet baby skin and kiss the top of his head a billion times. And "just be Mommy". :)


2 comments:

  1. My Mom used to quote part of this poem to me when I had days like this:
    BABIES DON'T KEEP

    Mother, oh Mother,


    come shake out your cloth,


    empty the dustpan,


    poison the moth,

    hang out the washing

    and butter the bread,

    sew on a button and make up a bed.

    Where is the mother whose house

    is so shocking?

    She's up in the nursery,

    blissfully rocking.

    Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little

    Boy Blue (lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

    Dishes are waiting and bills are past due

    (pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).

    The shopping's not done

    and there's nothing for stew

    and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

    but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.

    Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?

    (lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

    The cleaning and scrubbing

    will wait till tomorrow,

    for Children grow up,

    as I've learned to my sorrow.

    So quiet down, cobwebs.

    Dust go to sleep.

    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep......

    ~Author Unknown ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori I LOVE THAT!! Thank you so much for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete