Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Prenatal Exercise

Either I'm in amazing shape, or the prenatal exercise industry is pathetic. I love to exercise, and especially during pregnancy I really like staying in shape. I have an added incentive this time around because I'm wanting to do exercises that will especially prepare my body for natural childbirth. We have been members at the YMCA through the last four pregnancies and I've never seen a prenatal class offered, although there are always several pregnant members. So, I ordered an exercise bouncy ball, yoga/stretching mat, and three prenatal videos- belly dancing, pilates, and yoga. Last week I found another video at the library called "Buff Moms To Be" that promised to keep you buff throughout your pregnancy.

I've now tried all four videos. Sadly, I haven't broken a sweat. When I do start to get my heart rate up, the instructor says, "And you're done! Great job! Wasn't that a great workout, Mommy?" Ummm. . . no. :( I will say that at least the prenatal belly dancing one had some new moves that challenged me a little. Maybe I will have to get used to the fact that exercises like kegels and squatting on the floor aren't going to burn a million calories. Hopefully they will help me when I'm in labor though.

In the meantime, my plan is to do Zumba at the Y on Mondays, water aerobics at the Y on Wednesdays, walking with a friend on Fridays, and one of these videos on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Probably the belly dancing one.

Maybe I will become an advocate for promoting good prenatal exercise.

1 comment:

  1. I did zumba last night, but I am going to start doing mon too! See you there!

    ReplyDelete