Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Interesting Name Meanings

Inspired by "One Thousand Gifts", I began looking up the meanings of my children's names.

Allie Grace
GRACE: 1) elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion or action; 2) a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment; 3) favor or goodwill; 4) manifestation of favor; 5) free gift of God. How well-suited she is for that name, in all of its meanings. My Allie Grace is most certainly a manifestation of God's favor and blessing on my life. She is elegant and beautiful. She has innumerable pleasing qualities. God was so gracious in giving her to me.


Margaret James
MARGARET means "Pearl". I cannot get over this amazing evidence of God's sovereignty in naming her Margaret. When Maggie was 7 months old, we lost a baby we had named Pearl. How I have longed for Pearl. God in His goodness had already given us a Pearl in Margaret James Rodgers. She gets more precious every day- just like a pearl. Variant forms of Margaret include Marguerite, Greta, Margie, and Margeth, all which have significant meanings to me. 


Penelope Delia
PENELOPE means "weaver" and is synonymous with a loyal, capable, clever woman. I can totally see this in my little Penelope. She is all of those things- loyal, capable, and clever.
DELIA was chosen as a family name. My grandmother's sister's name was Delia, and she talks about how beautiful little Delia was. Just like my Delia. :) Other forms of Delia are "Cordelia", which I loved in "Anne of Green Gables", and of course, Amelia Bedelia. :)


Rosemary Rebekah
ROSEMARY means "dew of the sea". Rose was chosen as a family name (my middle name, my mother's middle name, my grandmother's maiden name), and so was Mary (my paternal grandmother's name.) My sister suggested it and it stuck. :) Variant forms of Rosemary that I love are Rosemarie, Rosalind, Rosalie, Rosita, Zita, Marigold, Malia, and Moira. My little Rosemary Rebekah is sweet and fragrant and so very precious.


The last two pictures were taken last week when I had a stomach bug and was too weak and sick to function normally. So we all sat around on the couch for 24 hours, hugging and cuddling and slowing down. You know, at the time I thought those were wasted days. Looking back at some of the pictures, they were priceless.




"So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." -Psalm 90:12

Lastly, I looked up Samuel's name. I need to start with a story for you to understand the significance of his name. When Rosemary was just three months old, I had a conversation with one of my favorite friends, Stephanie. She was asking me if we were done having children, and I said of course not. :) She asked if we were trying for a boy. I answered honestly no, because that wasn't the "goal" or the "end" for us (like "when we have a boy, we'll stop"- NO.) But she looked at me deeper and said, "But do you desire a son?" Wow. I had to be honest. Yes, I would love to have a son. Even more, I would love to give Brian a son. I would love to give the world a man after God's heart. She leaned in close and asked, "Have you asked God for a son?" Uhhhh. . . . well. . . uhhhh. . . I had to admit to her that I felt a little sheepish asking for another child, especially asking for a son, as if my four beautiful daughters weren't enough and I needed more. She reassured me that God knew my heart, that I wasn't being greedy, and she reminded me that God delights in answering our prayers. In granted the desires of our hearts. So, I began praying specifically for a son. Enter Samuel, which means "GOD HEARD", or "REQUESTED OF GOD." Can I just say WOW?? God heard! He has granted what I asked of Him, just like he granted Samuel to Hannah in the Bible and she said, "For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted what I asked of Him."

I am blessed indeed.

1 comment:

  1. We had always said we would have 3 kids when we got married. There had not been a boy born in my husband's family since 1979 and there were 12 girls born between then & 2005. When we found out we were pregnant with #3 (to be our last child), my husband started praying immediately for a son. Not that he would have cared if it was another girl and he would have loved her just the same but he wanted a son so bad to carry on the family name and be a great man of God & spiritual leader one day. Everyone in his family laughed when he would say "it's going to be a boy" because of all the girls that had been born and no boys. On April 29, 2005, we welcomed James Wyatt into our lives and introduced a boy into my husband's side of the family. David's prayers were answered & we were blessed with a son. So I totally understand what you wrote about Samuel. We share a similar experience and the same blessing of having a son.

    Now I just need to buy Anne's book because I keep reading such great posts about it!

    ReplyDelete