Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Heart for the Nations??

I am weeping this morning, and for the first time in a long time it's not out of self-pity. It's not because something that has happened to me, but something that is lacking in my heart. I've been reading "Radical" by David Platt- a book you all should go out and get ASAP. It will change your life. Already in the first four chapters I've been hit with the radical commands of Jesus about how following Him requires taking up my cross, denying myself, letting the dead bury their own dead, hating my family in comparison to my love for Christ. This morning another command pierced my heart: The Great Commission is given to ME. Not to others who are "called", but to ME. God wants ME to have a heart for the nations. In fact I was created to show His glory to the nations. Not having a passion for the lost is not following Him.

I don't read the paper or watch the news very often, but this week I picked up a copy of The Washington Post, mainly for posterity's sake. I got a copy of the Washington Post while in DC on President's Day. Pretty neat. I have been ASTOUNDED by what I am reading. My heart is literally broken for Egypt. For New Zealand. For homeschoolers in Germany who are put in jail for teaching their faith to their children. How have I missed all of this? I've had my head in the sand, that's how. I've been stewing over my own problems at home instead of praying that God's glory would be revealed across the world.

The last two nights, Brian and I have been mingling with businesspeople in gourmet receptions, here for a conference to learn how to better their businesses. I have marveled at the shallow conversations. The emptiness I can literally see in their faces. The lack of morals. The pride over what they have accomplished. At the same time, the emptiness in what they have accomplished. I have felt a compassion in my heart for businessmen who are rarely home with their families, or who have lost their families in their pursuit of "success". But what have I said to them that revealed God's glory? Anything? Doubt it. I've just smiled and nodded, gone back to my room and gone to sleep.

On Monday I read and took note of a verse in Colossians that says "God willed to make known what are the riches of His glory, which is CHRIST IN YOU, the hope of glory." Did you get that? God wants to make known His glory- WHICH IS CHRIST IN ME! That is how He wants to show His glory to these people- CHRIST IN ME. Am I doing that? Am I making known Christ in me, in my conversation, in my actions, in my attitudes, in my life? Obviously the fact that God opened the eyes of my heart to the plight of people in other parts of the world and right here in Washington DC, and has given me Christ, is evidence enough that He wants me to do something. But what? Lord show me what that looks like in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment