Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spoons


Check out this spoon. It may look pretty ordinary to you, but it is anything but ordinary to me. One night my good friend Kim made me a delicious cup of coffee and I used this spoon to stir the sugar in. It was such a comforting night of fellowship and friendship. I took a cup of coffee to go and somehow ended up with this spoon of hers. That's been years ago and it's still in my drawer. :) It's by far my favorite spoon, partly because its way more ornate than my spoons, but mainly because it reminds me of friendship and love, and makes me feel warm inside when I use it. I try to only use it for great things like stirring coffee. :)

Another good friend of mine, Julia, stopped by on Saturday night and brought bags of clothes for me and the girls that she had found at sales or thrift stores or on the side of the road. (Julia has a way of unearthing wonderful treasures in the strangest places and then giving them away.) Then on Sunday, she had our family over for chili and was mentioning that she was always out of spoons. Because I love Julia and she has been such a blessing to me, I'm going to search the world over for some special spoons for her.

Julia and I aren't exactly alike. Kim and I aren't exactly alike. But this is what the Bible says in a wonderful translation called The Message. . . "No matter what I say, what I believe, or what I do, I'm bankrupt without love." -1 Corinthians 13:3.

My children don't care what my principles are or how hard-core I am about sticking to them, if I don't have LOVE. We had brownies for breakfast today- something we never do- but they all needed a pick me up today. I think it spoke more love to them than any theology I could have shared at the breakfast table. Plus they were delicious. :) My hope is that it spoke LOVE and JOY to their sweet hearts.

1 comment:

  1. I'll look forward to hearing about your Spoon Search. :) And, as for this brownies-for-breakfast day -- I'd like to add that birthday cake makes a great breakfast, too. :) It sounds as though you are speaking your children's love language. :)

    ReplyDelete