Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Getting Creative in the Kitchen

I've found some confidence in the kitchen lately. :) I love blessing my family and/or friends with something delicious and comforting. It all started when I married Brian. Before that I never thought I had any cooking skills whatsoever. My spaghetti sauce was Ragu, my lasagna was Stouffer's and my mashed potatoes were flakes from a box. I was so intimidated by the "real" stuff! But Brian challenged me that Ragu wasn't "real" spaghetti, his favorite meal was his mom's lasagna, and he laughed at potato flakes. May I say that I have now perfected all three from scratch. :) I've also found myself experimenting with new flavors. When we picked all those blueberries, I made Cheddar Blueberry Crepes. No recipe, just followed my instinct. They were awesome. Stuck some sharp cheddar cheese and blueberries in a tortilla, fried it in butter, sprinkled powdered sugar on top and voila! Cheddar Blueberry Crepes. My very own recipe. You can totally steal it. :) Also with the blueberries, I was making blueberry pancakes and realized we were out of milk. I substituted French Vanilla Coffee Mate. Sooooo much better. I don't think I will use milk again in either blueberry pancakes or banana bread. I will totally use vanilla-flavored creamer. For tonight's dinner, I made up a glaze for the chicken breasts: orange marmalade, BBQ sauce, garlic, lemon peel, and brown sugar. Outstanding, if I do say so myself. :)

I probably better keep doing Boot Camp so all this deliciousness doesn't catch up with me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment