Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Rain

I was so glad for the rain last night. The older I get, the more I appreciate a good hard rain. (As long as I'm not driving down the road, or trying to go to the grocery store with four kids. :)) When the sun is shining and the sky is perfectly clear, I feel like I have to be productive and orderly and getting things done. Like I'm supposed to be happy and cheerful and upbeat. But sometimes I don't feel like being productive, or upbeat. This week our next door neighbors, who are some of our favorite people in the world, lost a baby. Their twin boys were born at 28 weeks and one of them died just a few days later. My heart has been so heavy for them this week. I've just wished it would rain. It may sound weird, but the sun seemed to be mocking me. I couldn't help but wonder if my precious neighbor felt the same way. Like the sunshine was an immature, unfeeling friend who was trying to cheer me up when I wasn't ready to be cheered. When the rain finally started falling yesterday, I just felt relieved. Like I finally had the "okay" to feel blue. To be still. To be real. The bottom fell out of the sky right about the time they were burying their son. Although I was hoping the rain wasn't getting in the way of the funeral, I was somehow happy for my friend that maybe she was getting some relief from the rain as well. AC, if you're out there, I hope you are enjoying the rain.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Julie. It's so funny you noticed the weather because I feel like it played a role in the whole day. After the funeral, when we reached the cemetery to bury Graham, the lightning had started and the storm was coming up quickly, but it wasn't raining yet. As our minister read passages from the Bible, the thunder got louder and I took it as a reminder of God's awesome power, even at the worst of times. It sounds weird, but the cemetery looked beautiful in that just-before-a-storm light, and it exactly fit my mood then.

    ReplyDelete