Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Allie's First Semester Ends

First semester of third grade is officially OVER!! I cannot believe all we have covered in these few short months. Fractions, multiplication tables to 12, metaphors and similes, birds and insects, the American Revolution, Genesis through Ruth, just to name a few. I am convinced that I have the smartest third grader in the world. :) She really does amaze me with how much she can understand and retain. We read the famous speech written by Thomas Paine, quoted by George Washington to the Continental Army that begins "These are the times that try men's souls" and ends with "the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." Hours later, she quoted it to me almost verbatim. And could even understand what it meant! I do have to share a funny, though. Yesterday we had a Bible test that went back to all the stories from Genesis and Exodus (a LOT, by the way!), and she said that Moses' sister's name was Marcie. :) Hey, she was close. :)

The next two weeks I will be planning as much in advance for the second semester as possible, since Rosemary will be coming in March and I know things may get crazy. We're basing most of our reading/phonics/writing on our two Science and Social Studies themes for second semester: Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day by Apologia Science, and Westward Expansion of the 1800s. There is a lot of reading and vocabulary we can glean from that. I like doing sort of "thematic units" with her. I think it makes more sense when things sort of flow and relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment