Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Loss of a Dear Friend

We lost an incredible man today. We met Brian and Tracy Rogers at Sojourn Church about two years ago. They were the kind of people you just gravitate toward- fun, upbeat, positive people who love God and love life. They were unique, too, in their outlook on life and basically everything they did. Brian was in a band called the Penetrators that played "surf music" (I had never heard of it until them but it's great beachy music. Brian played the guitar.) Tracy did pottery in her garage and spent every hour possible going barefoot and enjoying the sunshine. They have three beautiful daughters, Haley, Alex, and Skyla. We instantly fell in love with their family.
In January of this year, Brian started getting really sick and couldn't shake it. He went to the doctor, thinking it was some sort of virus. . . . but it was much more serious. At this point he already had Stage IV esophageal cancer. They gave him 6-9 months to live. We were all completely shocked and deeply grieved. But Brian remained upbeat. Every time I was around him, he talked about "getting rid of this thing by summer so I can get on with life." He fought hard. Last night, he lost the battle.
So many thoughts have been going through my head today about the fragility of life and how things just aren't the way God intended. Allie and I are reading through the Bible this year, and of course we started with Genesis. We've done a lot of talking about how perfect the world was when God created it and how man ruined it with sin. Since putting those glasses on I've seen so many devastating things that literally make me sick at the sin and depravity around us causing death, decay, and devastation. I'm longing for heaven and the day that there will be no more death, no more sin, no more sadness, no more pain. This world is hard to live in sometimes.
I've also been thinking about how short life really is and how none of us knows when or how we will die. I tend to believe I'm going to live to be about 100 years old and see all my grandchildren and greatgrandchildren live happy, healthy lives. Truth is, I could be gone tomorrow. Or Brian or one of my children could. It makes me want to not waste any time on regrets or bitterness or anger.
I know this song has no spiritual truth to it whatsoever, but I keep hearing the song in my head "Only the Good Die Young" by Billy Joel. If you had known Brian, this would have been very fitting. He lived his life, he had fun, he loved. The world and all who knew you will feel a deep loss since you've gone on to be with the Lord, Brian. To say you will be missed is a huge understatement. You were a good man. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment