Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Favorite Quotes Tuesday

Today's quotes are from some of my favorite books and movies. I love a well-written story. :) Enjoy!

From Sense and Sensibility:

Edward Ferrars: "My heart is, and always will be, yours."

Elinor: "Did he tell you he loved you?"
Marianne: "Yes. . . no. . . Never absolutely. It was everyday implied but never declared."

Elinor: "I do not attempt to deny that I think very highly of him- that I greatly esteem him- I like him."
Marianne: "Esteem him? Like him? Use those insipid words again and I will leave this room this instant!"

Marianne: "Always resignation and acceptance. Always prudence and honor and duty. Elinor, where is your heart?"

Marianne: "Is there any felicity in the world superior to this?"
Elinor: "I told you it would rain."
Marianne: "There is some blue sky, let us chase it!"

From Steel Magnolias:

Miss Ruth was a lady and a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm a bagel on a plateful of onion rolls.

You are a boil on the butt of humanity.

My momma brought me up right. I haven't left the house without spandex on these thighs since I was 14.

You know what they say! If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me!

I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.

From Dead Poets Society:
John Keating: "We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, 'O me! O life! . . . of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless- of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life? Answer. That you are here- that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.' That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

Birdee from Hope Floats: "Beginnings are scary. Endings are usually sad. But it's what's in the middle that counts."

Forrest Gump, from Forrest Gump: "Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks."

Carol Shields, from her book Unless: "Life is full of isolated events. But those events, if they are to form a coherent narrative, require odd pieces of language to link them together, little chips of grammar (mostly adverbs or prepositions) that are hard to define. . . words like therefore, else, other, also, thereof, instead, otherwise, despite, already, and not yet.

Carol Shields, from her book Unless: "Happiness is the pane of glass you carry in your head. It takes all your cunning just to hang on to it, and once its smashed you have to move into a different kind of life."

From the book Middlesex: "Emotions, in my experience, aren't covered by single words. I don't believe in 'sadness', 'joy', or 'regret'. I'd like to have at my disposal complicated hybrid emotions, Germanic traincar constructions like, say, 'the happiness that attends disaster.' Or 'the disappointment of sleeping with one's fantasy.' I'd like to have a word for 'the sadness inspired by failing restaurants' as well as for 'the excitement of getting a room with a minibar.' I've never had the right words to describe my life, and now that I've entered my story, I need them more than ever."

From The Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love:
It was double coupon day, and don't you know I missed it. . .
I'm fresh out of patience.
Building an Inventory of Good Stories to Tell in the Nursing Home
Lordhelpusall
Man alive!
This is just the thing to pop on when your yard man comes to the door!
Take your own sweet time

From We're Just Like You, Only Prettier:
We've howdied but not met!
The marshmallow-speckled lime gelatin mold sent to a grieving family
Christmas can be excessive at our house, but I'm still not ready to follow the advice of those killjoys at Money magazine who advise us to "shop sensibly" or "avoid debt". Why don't they just "bite me"? Obviously those folks have never put off their kids' immunizations so they could use the money to buy more icicle lights at Wal-Mart. Oh, calm down. When's the last time you actually knew someone with typhus? Thought so.
My husband's aunt once salvaged a piece of Saran Wrap that I had tossed into the trash. She spent a good five minutes sponging it clean again and gave me a look that said I knew nothing of ten-mile walks to school, uphill, both ways, with rickets.
That's as wrongheaded as watching Wheel of Fortune when you know good and well that the Billy Graham crusade is playing on another channel at the very same time. It is intensely southern to feel guilty when Billy's on and you're not watching.
Either Maudie has abandoned her husband and children and run off with the repo man at Rent-a-Center or she's gone on to that great double-wide in the sky.
I've always thought that people who died in July are the most thoughtful because you just know there will be fresh butterbeans and tomatoes still warm from the garden when you go to pay your respects.
The proliferation of tip jars is starting to piss me off. Frankly, after I've paid over three bucks for a small coffee, I'm thinking the tip is probably included. It's not like the counter boy is Juan Valdez out there tying up the donkey and hauling the beans in from the back room.
We agreed that, next time the fair was in town, we'd visit, the three of us. I knew Auntie would eat too many deep-fried Snickers and Roomie would never be able to hear those Air Supply tunes they blast all over the fairgrounds, but it would be fun if they had those driving mules again.
Now there's another buck or two hundred in the therapy jar.

2 comments:

  1. I think I like these the best of all you've shared so far. They're just more "real" somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,
    Hi there, I am the author of Redeeming Childbirth and noticed your comment on Passionate Homemaking last week. I wanted to reach out to you bc I noticed your comment and wanted to make sure first of all that you had a chance to look around the website and take advantage of all the FREE resources? Also, I notice you do book reviews. I was wondering if you would like to be a part of our PR team {Product review}... it would get you a free ecopy.

    If you are interested you can email me at angie@redeemingchildbirth.com or contact me through the Redeeming Childbirth FB page :http://facebook.com/RedeemingChildbirth

    May God Bless your family

    ReplyDelete