Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Friday, April 8, 2011

74 Days: Books!

We love books at our house. Each of our children would rather sit in my lap and let me read them a book, than just about anything in the world. I've really been considering getting rid of 50% or more of our toys just to make room for books, since I'd rather them read books than play with toys anyway. Thankfully, for Penelope and Rosemary's joint birthday, we got mainly books. Yay!! Now I just need a few more shelves. . . :) We go to the library every week. Here are some of my favorites of last week's picks.


Love the pictures in this one. . . check out this scene! Isn't it lovely?? What a great farmer's market!


I love the lady on her yellow moped. And check out this lady, she ROCKS, I just love her. . .

Another awesome scene. . .



Next pick- a book of poems. We try to get a book of poems every time we go. This was one of the best, mainly for the illustrations. . .




Isn't this the coolest Grandpa ever??


Sometimes I feel like this. . .


And sometimes, more like this . . . :)

This one reminded me of Brian. :)


Moving along. . . a few more great children's books. . .


A cute book if your daughters like making bead necklaces. :) Tells some history of beads from around the worlds and how/why they are used.


We like multicultural books. And I love this woman. I want a clothesline so bad. . .




Doesn't this girl make wearing glasses cool?? If I were a kid I would see this and want to run out and buy some eyeglasses, right then and there. Kind of made me want to and I'm grown up. :)



The Name Quilt. . . a WONDERFUL book. . . Phyllis Root. . . a WONDERFUL author. . . there's that clothesline again! Love these women stringing out clothes on the clotheslines!


Cynthia Rylant is another amazing author. This character, The Old Woman Who Named Things, is spunky and cool and I want to be just like her when I'm old. :)


Check out the boots! The hair! The plants she grows!



And of course, you have to have a Richard Scarry book in the mix somewhere. He's classic. . .



I heard a lot about the importance of reading to children in my elementary education classes, and now I see the benefits firsthand. Maggie's highest aspiration right now is to learn to read. Allie spends hours each week reading books she enjoys. I've been inspired by my children to find more time in my day to read. This morning I brought the coffee pot downstairs to our room so I wouldn't wake the girls but could still wake up enough to read. :) Current book: Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv. Look for a book review soon! So far, so good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment