Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Rodgers Family Events




We have been a pretty busy family lately! And it doesn't show signs of stopping anytime soon. :)




Thursday night we went to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus at the VBCC. As far as I'm concerned, I could go the rest of my life without seeing the circus and not feel like I missed anything, but I think it's something every kid should go to at least once. So it was really cool to watch all three girls' faces light up with delight at the clowns on stilts, the Chinese dragons, the flying trapeze people, the elephants and tigers and bears (oh my!) Allie loved every minute of it. Maggie enjoyed about the first half of the show, then she started putting on her coat and saying, "It's time to go home now." :) Penelope went back and forth from clapping and smiling, to crying and holding her ears. I had to agree with her, it was a bit too loud, even from the nosebleed section. The worst part for me about the nosebleed section was that those narrow stairs make me sooooo nervous. I feel like I'm going to lose my balance any second and go tumbling backwards and break my neck. I seriously get crazy nervous walking up those stairs. But I also get nervous throughout the show, every time I watch someone walking across the tightrope and feel my palms get sweaty as I pray they don't fall. I get realllly nervous when the motorcycle guys go in that big steel ball. I don't know why. Maybe I have issues. But it all makes me more than a little nervous. So I was literally exhausted by the time it was over. Really the joy of it came from watching Maggie squeal with delight at the elephants "holding hands" and watching Allie's face as the whimsical mermaids and chickens on stilts went by. I think it's good for a child's imagination. I can only imagine what all three of them dreamt about that night. :)

Friday evening we drove an hour one way to pick up new bunk beds for Allie and Maggie. They were ecstatic! We were ecstatic too about the price. New ones like this, and these are the top-notch ones with actual wood stairs and drawers in the side, are $1500 or more. We found these brand-new on Craig's List for $490. They are thrilled about them. I'm thrilled that they get along well enough to both enjoy "rooming" together. Hope that lasts for awhile. :)
Saturday we celebrated Penelope's first birthday at our house with close family. Since her actual birthday is Valentine's Day, everything was red and pink hearts. My mom brought a FABULOUS Raggedy Ann cake. A fun time was had by all. Of course, we spent four hours cleaning the house to prepare, and now it all has to be cleaned again. :) But it was worth it. I can't believe my baby is almost a year old!! I will blog about that later.
This week is another full one. Tuesday I meet with the homeschool folks at Whitesburg to discuss Allie's grades, lesson plans, goals and objectives. We meet once a semester. Tuesday night, I have a La Leche League meeting at the same time that Brian has Disaster Relief Training at the church. He wants to be qualified to go with the church if there is something like a hurricane on the Gulf or whatever. I am really looking forward to LLL, but I wish it wasn't the same time as American Idol. :) Wednesday morning I have my 36-week appointment with Dr. Kakani (which includes the Group B Strep test- fun fun!). Friday we have a Valentine's party with Bright Lights, so we've got to make up about 30 valentines for that. Friday night I have a date with my man (woo hoo!). Saturday night we are taking the kids to a Chinese New Year celebration at the Huntsville downtown library.

Sometime this week I hope to sit down and share with you all the miracle of my little Penelope Delia Rodgers and her blessed first year. Stay tuned. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment