Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Resolutions

Our Sunday School teacher encouraged us to make New Years Resolutions this year in several areas like Spiritual, Emotional, Social, Mental, Physical, etc. and to make them specific enough that they could be measurable and attainable enough that we could actually do it. I decided that the "attainable" part meant that I couldn't resolve to do anything "every day", because that is always a set up for failure. But there are some things I'm going to try to do weekly or monthly. I'm more like lining my year up month by month with challenging but attainable goals. We'll see. While I do like having goals, I also realize more and more, the older I get, that God can and does often change our "plans", so I try to remain flexible about them. :) I'll share a few of them with you all to give myself a feeling of accountability.

I'm going to attempt to memorize 52 passages of Scripture this year- one for each week. I started thinking about the fact that if I memorize 52 Scriptures a year, in ten years I will have 520 passages hidden in my heart. Surely those 520 passages of Scripture will help me be a wise momma when my girls are 19 (unimaginable!), 12 (good Lord I better be wise when Maggie's 12!), 10 and 9. Oh how I will be needing to have God's Word hidden in my heart. I better start hiding it today. (spiritual)

Since my primary spiritual gift is encouragement, I am committing to use it at least once a week by sending someone a note of encouragement or thanks or helpful Scriptures. I am pretty positive that I could come up with 52 people RIGHT NOW that I"d like to thank or send encouraging words to, so this one shouldn't be hard. (social)

Physically, I want to do the PX90 challenge during some 3-month portion of this year, and I'd like to hike part of the Appalachian Trail with Brian in the fall. (physical)

I want to document the kids' lives better this year. I heard of a great idea the other day that I am going to try this year: get a desk calendar (one with the big blocks) for each of your kids, and at the end of each day, just jot down a sentence or phrase telling about their day, or something funny they said or did, or learned to do, or a special place they went. I think this would be cool to read when they are older and remember things you might have forgotten if you hadn't written them down. (emotional)

So there we have it. I know it's not much, but again, I'm trying to stick with attainable and not take away the joy of letting God lead and guide. Anyone else out there make any resolutions?

1 comment: