Just the Nine of Us

Just the Nine of Us

Monday, September 21, 2009

Completing the Work

Yesterday was such a WONDERFUL day at church. It was one of those days where God seems to be speaking directly to ME at each and every turn. We are starting a study of the book of Philippians in Sunday school, and yesterday's "key verse" was "being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on unto completion until the day of Jesus Christ." (I think it's 1:9) Our teacher, who has a doctorate in Greek, pointed out that the original text uses the world "epi teleo", which means that God will not just carry it out, He will over and abundantly, beyond our hopes or expectations, complete the work He began in us. That just blew me away. I can really see His hand in my own life already as I look at years past, when I have gotten away from His original plans for me and He has carefully and lovingly brought me back to where He wants me. Even as a little girl, He gave me a heart for being a "wife and mother", but there were years there where I was far, far away from that calling and not even headed back in that direction. I was headed in the direction of career and singleness. But God knew the plans He had for me and He guided me back to the heart and calling He had originally given me. I thought about how He brought Brian and me together, two singles in a sea of Huntsville singles, who were light years away from where God really wanted us, but together has drawn us to Him and His purposes for us. I still feel sometimes light years away from where God wants me, but knowing that He WILL complete the work He started in me, encourages me to keep pressing on and letting Him fulfill His purposes. He's right now actively engaging me and actively accomplishing things in me that are far beyond my hopes or expectations. Wow!!

Then we went to our worship service, where we sang a loud, triumphant "To God Be the Glory", and then one that I can never sing with dry eyes, "How Great Thou Art". I mean it's not just that I can't sing it with dry eyes. I cry like a baby. I never can sing the part out loud where it says "When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation, and take me home, what joy shall fill my heart. . . Then I shall bow in humble adoration, and there proclaim, 'My God how great Thou art!'" I'm just a blubbering baby through that part. When I think about finally meeting Him face to face- Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my Faith, the One who has over and abundantly completed His work in me- I cannot imagine what I will say. I will probably blubber through that like I blubber through the song. But hopefully He will know that what I really mean is, "Thank You, thank You, thank You for this amazing, wonderful, crazy life."

No comments:

Post a Comment